Monday, August 22, 2011

Elder Cox's Eighth Letter from Tampico

Hey family and friends,

This week has been a great week.  I love it here. I'm learning how to work and work efficiently.  I've seen a lot of miracles this week.  A lot of experiences I've learned from and grateful to see.  I don't have much time so i will try to write quickly and talk about the important things.

As I said I've seen a lot of miracles in my life.  One thing was the power of prayer and fasting.  After prayers and fasting we contacted a woman on the street.  We contact at least 20 each day.  That is our goal.  So it's usually just like oh, another contact.  Probably will fail.  Probably 80% fall through if they are a contact on the street.  But have to do it and talk with everyone.  Give them the chance to hear.  So we ended up following up and making an appointment later.  We went to the house for the appointment and she was ready with her daughter.  Her husband was asleep.  And come to find out about 7 years ago she talked with the missionaries and nothing happened.  Just a contact or something but she had a Book of Mormon.  Within that time she had read the entire book.  Cover to cover.  And asked what the Doctrine and Covenants was.  She said she was lacking the book.  We were really excited to hear that she wanted to read more.  One problem was that she had a testimony that it was a true book but she is lacking the connection with the Book of Mormon and the Church being the only true church.  We visited again last week with the whole family and they seem to have so many questions I've never even thought of.  It's made me think and have to search the scriptures and pray for answers.  Definitely makes me study harder.  I'm grateful for this experience.  So they ended up coming to church yesterday.  That was great.  They told me that they had a lot of their questions answered. I feel like they still have doubts and so we are going tomorrow to try to help them and have the Spirit teach them.  We are very hopeful with this family.

We are having a lot of success with the members.  This ward has been kind of dead in the missionary work for sometime.  It's really exciting to see them get excited about the work.  We had our first planning meeting with the leaders for the Ward Mission Plan.  It could have gone a little better but still great for the first time ever having one.  We are planning activities to get the members excited and bring their friends.  I can't wait to see all the stuff that is going to happen.  Unfortunately it's going to take time and so I probably won't be able to see a lot of what we sow.  Others will reap the benefits.  But I'm glad to be a part of the ones that start this rolling snowball.  It's going to be great to see the effects of what is happening.

Yesterday was a great Sunday.  For the first time we did not have to go by anyone's house in the morning.  Usually we go by 4 or 5 houses in the morning for investigators.  This time we were able to get members to bring them and that made all the difference.  We didn't have to go by anyone's house and we had 8 people present who came with members.  It was truly great to see here.  A huge step for this ward.

We are teaching a family that is kind of wishy washy, but i think their testimonies are growing and their confidence in us also.  The mother is a member, but the father is not.  They have 3 children.  One daughter that is living with her boyfriend.  We are teaching them and they plan on getting married and baptized.  The next youngest is a son and we are teaching his girlfriend.  They do not live together and I think the baptism and conversion of his girlfriend will help him prepare for a mission.  I think he is seriously thinking about a mission.  This is wonderful if he could have a missionary opportunity before he goes on a mission.  The next and youngest son has a friend that all he did was invite him to church and he came.  The friend has come 2 times now and we have only taught him once.  We are slacking.  We plan on teaching him and getting him a baptismal date.  He is so ready.  It's wonderful to see the people here that are so ready to hear the Gospel.  When they hear it, it is like sweet music to their ears and they want to hear more.  It makes me so grateful to have the Gospel in my life and to be able to share the Gospel with others and have it bless their lives.  I am truly grateful.

Well time is up and there is much to say but so little time.  I love you all and all is well here.  I hope you are enjoying your life.  Enjoy it because it is truly wonderful.  Wonderful gift God has given us is to be here at this time in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  The blessings are enormous and all I have to do is open my eyes. I love you all and thank you for your support and love.

Love always,

Elder James Cox


No comments:

Post a Comment